"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Friday, May 10, 2013

Death Rejoices (Marnie Baranuik Files, #2)

Death Rejoices (The Marnie Baranuik Files)Death Rejoices by A.J. Aalto
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

4.5

I'm glad I found this series. I'm just so enamored of Harry, Marnie just tires me the hell out with her raging libido and makes me burst into laughter like a crazy person-thankfully where people don't look at me funny-with her crude mouth and accident prone ways. I love that even the minor characters are layered with personality, that this world that Marnie inhabits makes me more curious to explore it and learn more of it. The biology and the magical aspects of both the beings and their talents in this series are giving me a new and fresh perspective that reminds me why I loved this genre a few years ago.

In this addition to the series Marnie meets new faces-of preternaturals and people, as well as more complications. Now that she's part of Gary's team in the FBI's Preternatural Crimes Unit, Marnie has to keep her hands-as well as other parts-away from Mark Batten, keep control of her mouth (not a chance in hell that's happening.), and stop being a walking disaster. Like having a new assistant that's hiding more than just 'what' he is, fighting her attraction to Batten, releasing Gary from his role as dhaugir, trying not to jump Batten, healing her severely injured brother (who later turns into a bat), and keeping her clothes on in front of Batten is not enough, Marnie's to do list keeps getting longer. Dealing with a necrophiliac ogre, a Prior gone bad, creepy zombies, and the King of Demons wanting his hands on a deadly hybrid is all in a day's work...especially when she's suffering through defensive tactics training and a severe case of corpsepox.

Mark Batten is a little more open and approachable in this one and I liked it, but the idea of him and Marnie just doesn't get me excited. I don't know if it's because this 'potential' love triangle reminds me of another one that imploded with disastrous consequences all around and I simply don't want to see it with this three. Harry shone for me because there's a bit more of his past that's revealed and his actions in regards to the bond are laid out in the open. He was also a little paternal, taking Wes (Marnie's brother) protectively under his wing and caring for Wes when he got hurt. I admit I'm curious at his connection with Gary but it's a mystery that's piquing my interest without frustrating me.

All in all I found this book as enjoyable as the first one, this series is definitely going on my auto buy list.

View all my reviews

No comments: