"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Evensong's Heir (The Songbirds of Valnon, #1) GLBT

Evensong's Heir (Songbirds of Valnon, #1)Evensong's Heir by L.S. Baird
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This are the kinds of books I'm frustrated I'll miss out on when I'm in a reading slump, and the ones that make me glad that I go with my instinct and purchase without being familiar with the author or the ratings/reviews.

An epic beginning to a series that gets me excited for what is yet to come. Full of adventure, action, and intrigue this novel had me hooked from the beginning. Willim (The Dove), Dmitri (The Lark), and Ellis (The Thrush) are the Songbirds of the Temple of Valnon. Sheltered from the outside world, they are caught unawares by an attack. One of their own has turned against them, and for their own safety the Songbirds must escape the only home they've ever known. With few allies and unknown threats the Songbirds must find their strength if they are to save their city from impending destruction.

Willim is the Dove, with no inkling of his parentage, the Temple and his song are all he knows and is. The attack on his bodyguard opens up his eyes to how precarious Valnon's position is, and meeting Grayson-a sell-sword who has past ties with the Temple-opens his heart to emotions he's never known. He and his Songbirds get some hard lessons. They learn more of themselves and each other along the way while discovering more of their history and the machinations of their enemies. They create ties, unknowingly touching the people they meet with their song.

Grayson is a man that lost his honor in defense of a dear friend, unjustly charged he left the Temple of Valnon in disgrace losing the opportunity to serve as a Godsword. Now he has been called to duty; to protect The Dove of Valnon at all costs. He has to confront an old love, his feelings for a new one, and finally get his rightful place in the Temple.

This was a supremely wonderful story for me, I enjoyed it immensely. The writing made this world come to life, and the songs were so beautiful that they gave me goose bumps and tugged at my heartstrings.

View all my reviews

No comments: