"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Downtime (Review)

DowntimeDowntime by Tamara Allen

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


The story was a treat to read, but I felt that for a few chapters the focus strayed and centered on a notorious crime that Nash becomes embroiled in and feels compelled to solve. It doesn't affect the major plot line in any way but it sort of felt that I was reading a story within a story; the outcome of the crime is favorable (although the culprit's history is tragic and painful). I wish it would have been the case in real life, instead of the mystery it remains.



Ezra is a kind and sensitive man, and I loved how well he clicked with Nash although their first interactions where a little...a lot strained, especially Nash's skepticism regarding Ezra's gift. Their relationship develops slowly and beautifully as they work together to solve a crime and try to find the book required to send Nash home. Derry is one of my favorites; his friendship and loyalty as well as his open acceptance of Ezra's homosexuality and ability made him a very endearing character.



For me this was one of those kinds of novels, where the characters become so familiar I was left with the yearning to learn more about them and their lives. It would be wonderful to see how they are faring as Nash settles permanently into Ezra's century; or what mischief they might get into solving crimes. This novel is definitely going into my list of favorites.





View all my reviews

No comments: