"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tale of the Waning Moon v. 1 (Review)

Tale of the Waning Moon, Vol. 1Tale of the Waning Moon, Vol. 1 by Hyouta Fujiyama

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


[read in Sept. '09 but reread to refresh b/c the 2nd. volume is coming out this June '11]



Dumped and drunk Ryuka makes a wish "Someone...anyone...please help me forget that woman. I want someone to genuinely love, someone who will genuinely love me in return." He's surprised to find out that his wish has been heard by Ixto-Spirit of the Last Quarter Moon. When Ryuka declines the candidates-who all turn out to be men, he falls subject to a spell after having an intimate encounter with Ixto.



The spell is a journey that Ryuka must take and that will lead him to Ixto. Ryuka's body compels him to follow the path (if he doesn't disastrous situations arise), even though his heart wars against the notion that he might be falling for a man. Ryuka sets out with Coon the Moon Cat as his guide, meeting an eclectic cast of characters along the way; including a millionaire whose love interest has been cursed.



Ryuka is a simple guy who only wants someone to love him, it's fun watching him fight his feelings for Ixto. I really liked Coon, he's so sweet and pervy, but he's also loyal to Ixto and cares so much for Ryuka. Aldin, the millionaire, who acts more mature and level headed than Ryuka is a great addition to the band of travelers-I hope I get to learn more about him and his cursed love in future volumes.



I enjoy Fujiyama-sensei's work, she has this flair for the comedic and romantic that always makes me smile when I read her stories.



View all my reviews

No comments: