"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Thursday, October 4, 2012

St. Clair (Gives Light, #3) GLBT-YA

St. Clair (Gives Light , #3)St. Clair by Rose Christo
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

With every book that I read in this wonderful series, I feel extraordinarily happy that I took the leap and purchased Gives Light. Like its predecessors this 3rd book is superbly written, so of course I was completely engrossed in the trials that present themselves in Sky and his family's life this time around-I say family because that's how it is in this community, their ties are so strong I can't think of it otherwise.

Sky's summer is not off to a good start. He's dealing with how to take his relationship further with Rafael-a slow process as it exposes an event from his childhood which makes it difficult for Rafael to act on their attraction. It's Rafael who makes Sky realize just how that event affected him. Then the government once again plays havoc with their lives, twisting the law to suit their own ends; they stand to lose their livelihood and their home.

Sky and his friends now have to come up with a solution that will save them from complete eviction. But things get worse when Sky is afflicted with laryngeal cancer and has to undergo surgery to remove his vocals cords and radiation therapy. Yet through all this, the solidarity and optimism of these people is amazing. They never allow the atrocities and injustices to bring their spirits down.

I found myself constantly in awe of Rafael and Sky. The depth of Rafael's devotion to Sky just melts my heart, and Sky's feelings for Rafael are just as strong. There's no doubt that these two are perfect for each other and complement one another really well.

This novel is just as riveting and engaging as the rest, I only wonder if this is really the final book in the series. While it was a nice ending it felt like some things were left unfinished; seriously I would be more than happy to discover there's more to come. I don't want Sky and Rafael to go away yet.

Updated: (from Rose Christo's profile in Smashwords) I just wanted to say that I am very flattered at the attention the Gives Light books are receiving; I was never really sure that anyone would be interested in the stories, let alone hundreds of people. Thank you so much. I always intended to just write three books in that setting and then move on to a different project. But I really came to enjoy writing about those characters; so after my next project, I'm closing off the series with a fourth book. It will take place after a 12-15 year timeskip and I will be uploading it without cost, since it doesn't seem fair to me that anyone should pay for a fourth book in what was always supposed to be a trilogy.



View all my reviews

No comments: