"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wolf at the Door (GLBT)

Wolf at the DoorWolf at the Door by K. Drew
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This had a 'classic horror' feel to it. The author's prose just had me riveted (well, whenever life didn't get in the way and I could actually sit down and read). Much like Brad Pitt (Louis) in the film Interview With a Vampire, I pictured Nick recounting the events that led him to and then transpired in Blackwood. Rich in detail and dark in it's history, this is the kind of tale that just haunts you. With a strange sort of morbidity I felt compelled to continue reading, knowing that this was no sweet romance and even sort of expecting it not to have any sort of happily ever after.

It was hard to root for Sebastian and Nick, particularly with the bloody ties that Sebastian has with Lilith. Even after the events that unfolded I wondered how it would all work out. While the ending was good, it still left me with a sense of sadness at the price these two had to pay for their own happiness and just what kind of future they would have.

A very engrossing and dark romantic story.

View all my reviews

No comments: