"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Aristocrat and the Desert Prince (review)

The Aristocrat and the Desert Prince  The Aristocrat and the Desert Prince by Haruhi Tono

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was an okay read. Although well written, it felt almost distanced or dispassionate to me. There was no connection with the characters, and even the characters' feelings for each other feel superficial. Takeyuki's personality was a little annoying at times-Zayid said it best, 'impetuous airhead'. As the youngest son he was spoiled by all of his family, so his attitude is sort of understandable-he made me want to smack him upside the head every now and then though.



Zayid is definitely an intriguing character, but I didn't get to know him well since the story is in Takeyuki's POV. In his interactions with Takeyuki though I got the sense that Zayid would be a nice influence on him. He was firm and didn't tolerate Takeyuki's bratty tantrums; he didn't accede to Takeyuki's every whim and so it gave me the feeling he could grow into a mature and unselfish man with Zayid. The illustrations are gorgeous and beautifully done, adding that little oomph that I felt the story lacked.



I'm a huge fan of Sheikhs and romance in the desert so that made it worth the read for me.



View all my reviews

No comments: