"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Betrayal Knows My Name #1 (review)

The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 1The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 1 by Hotaru Odagiri

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Yuki Sakurai is afraid of being alone and unwanted-abandoned at an orphanage at birth-it is his greatest fear. Already a high schooler, he is trying to seek a place of his own to avoid being a burden to those that cared for him, especially now that threatening letters are being left at the orphanage's mail box.



A sweet and kind hearted teen, he feels different from those around him; with dreams that plague him constantly but has no memory of when he wakes and a strange empathic power that he feels is more a hindrance than a help.



Suddenly things in Yuki's life are changing; a friend is in peril, his powers are evolving, he discovers he has an 'elder brother' who has located him after several years and wants him back home, and he meets others with powers of their own.



Yuki is happy to finally belong, even if it is as a part of the Giou clan-a group with mystical powers who destroy demons. But his instant bond with Luka is both comforting and intruiging, and makes him wonder why Luka is always looking out for him and his safety.



Yet not everything is what it seems; events are unfolding that put the world at risk and Yuki's life as well. Because Yuki is the Light of God-a healer and the strength of the clan and the Duras (demons) will do everything in their power to destroy him.



I'll admit I was completely surprised when I saw this...and truly pleased as well, the manga is 360+ pgs. long, which is a little rare in graphic novels (at least from what I've seen)so it gave me something to really sink my teeth into. The cover is very fetching and colorful as well as the beautiful inserts and that was enough to have me starry eyed. You get a few bonuses; including an afterword, a fan corner, a terms & character lexicon, a fan corner autograph session report, as well as 2 extra short stories. There are many characters introduced, but my favorite of course is Luka with Hotsuma running a close second-he's just so fiery! There's some mysteries, secrets, and comedy that made this a joy to read, so I'm definitely hanging on to see what comes next.



View all my reviews

No comments: