"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Friday, June 10, 2011

Valley of Shadows (review)

Valley of ShadowsValley of Shadows by Phoenix Emrys

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


"I see dead people." Nope it's not Haley Joel Osment. Meet Ellery James, a popular historical romance writer that hides himself and the secret behind his novels in a small town. He is the dead's messenger, their guide, and a friendly ear willing to listen to what they have to say.



He meets, unexpectedly, with Boone Dantrell; a man on the brink after suffering a great loss. An urgent plea manages to sway Ellery to break the rules and help Boone from a tragic decision which has some unexpected consequences. But their connection runs deeper than Ellery knows, and it might just be what saves him and Boone when Evil comes knocking at his door.



This novel was not what I expected, and so I was pleasantly surprised by it because it was exactly what I had been searching for in a book-a story that made me laugh. I loved Ellery, who bears the burden of his gift without losing his optimism. He takes it in stride although he has given up on having any kind of normal relationships, until Boone. And I love Boone because of his unconditional feelings and acceptance (after a little convincing)of Ellery's talents. There are some unanswered questions but I'm hoping this means there's more to come from these guys.



View all my reviews

No comments: