"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." — Louisa May Alcott

Friday, July 26, 2013

Romance de Toreros (Spanish Edition)

Romance de TorerosRomance de Toreros by José Luis Rodriguez Del Corral
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's been a long while since I've watched a Toreada. The sight of those animals bleeding and hurt wasn't something that I could stomach enough to watch one through the end, but I vividly remember the toreros. I focused on them, and to me they were as majestic as those animals to see. The movements were as beautiful and graceful as a dance-a deadly tango, for either of the partners involved.

This story is about a torero at the peak of his career, who wears the testament of his victories on his body. Curro can face the fiercest of bulls, but can't find the strength to step out of the closet. He hides this feeling of cowardice by stepping into the arena to gain a sense of redemption and courage.

Then a friendly challenge is issued by an up and coming young Torero who greatly admires him. The opposite of him in many ways, it is Juan who finally who gives Curro the strength to be himself.

Albeit a very short story, it was beautifully written and conveyed Curro's tumultuous emotions very well.

View all my reviews

No comments: